Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Cover Series Process

I decided to do my book covers on the theme of 'journey' using the books below:





After picking these books, I looked at various Penguin book covers including the book 'Penguin by Design' to see how they layout their book cover designs, where their logo is placed and the bar code, etc.
I then thought about using maps for the background of the book covers to emphasize the idea of a journey.


I also considered doing illustrations depicting scenes from each of the books.


But then, I saw the movie 'UP' last week in celebration of finishing the portfolio review and in their ending credits they use a scrapbooking motif to show the places they went and I thought that would work well for the theme of my three books!

I've been fascinated with the photo quality that holga cameras produce and hope to try one out this summer, so I found some holga pictures on flickr showing landscapes from scenes in each of the three books and applied these photos to an old polaroid picture I had.



I altered the penguin logo so that it would match the background of my book covers.


I used the typeface Adler to get a typewritter effect - I wish I had access to a real typewriter because I think it would have given the covers a more authentic feel. I then tore the paper and scanned it into photoshop where I applied a duotone that complemented the background color/texture of my book covers.


1 comment: